Thursday, November 24, 2005

Driving Upside Down

How could I forget to mention this? It had been snowing for an hour or 2 before we left for the DIA this morning, but nothing major. Mostly, the roads were just wet. Nevertheless, on our 30 mile trip, we saw no less than 7 wrecks. Two of those involved cars lying on their sides and a third was upside down. Now that I think about it, I believe there was another upside-downer, too. I'm not sure what's so special about wet roads that makes Detroit drivers want to try driving upside down, but it was in vogue today. Another was just a spinout where an older lady somehow ended up spun out backwards up a hill. I have no clue how that happened. She was on her phone when we passed her. I assume she was phoning for help, though it appeared she could just have driven down the hill again without any problems.

I also neglected to mention the absolutely fabulous suits of armor they had at the DIA. Most were from the 1100s to the 1500s. Ubercool.

Driving home through downtown Detroit was interesting. But there was something a little heart-wrenching about the "Touch of Class" salon with iron grillwork over the doors and windows, and the boarded up video shop with a big opening revealing the burnt-out interior. The ex-psychic reading store - well, that was just ironic. They should have known it was a bad location, shouldn't they? Maceo's Croquettes and (something?) was all shut up in iron grillwork and looking deserted. I don't even know what a croquette is. Something fried?

A portion of the road (Woodward was it?) ended up being closed for a bunch of parade floats. Seems a strange day for a parade, but they weren't parading yet, so maybe they were preparing for tomorrow. I know there's that big Natl one on Thanksgiving, right? But I've never liked parades, so I never pay much attention. Dunno why - kinda like clowns. Too much of a spectacle, maybe.

We hit Krispy Kreme on the way home. If you've never had a Krispy Kreme doughnut, don't start. It's the only way to save yourself, trust me.

Sheila, I watched my Clive Owen movie tonight, and appreciated it even more now that I know who he is. *grin* When are you flying (really? or was that just idle banter?) or whatever to see us? Too bad you can't Apparate. That would be SO handy!

The Killer Rabbit is happy and healthy. Still, check on me tomorrow to make sure he hasn't struck in the night.


No comments: