Thursday, November 24, 2005

Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again

It's weird, because this just doesn't usually hit me, or I'm able to keep on a good game face if it does, but today, I'm really missing my Dad. The song "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" just brought it all home today -- made all the more poignant by the fact that my dad was a musician and composer among his many other talents -- and I had to hide in the bathroom for a bit of a cry. (Why do we hide when we cry? Fear of exposing our weaknesses?)

Thanksgiving 7 years ago was our last time together untainted by the knowledge of what lay before us. He was diagnosed a month later, on Christmas Eve, with terminal bone cancer. He never knew I named my son after him. He never knew I'd go on to have another daughter, that I'd get a story and some poetry published. But maybe he knows now.

So here's to you, Daddy, my father, my friend, amazing musician, composer, nurse extraordinaire, computer guru, scientist, writer, and so much more. I miss you.



No comments: