Monday, March 06, 2006

Pretentious Twaddle

Wow. I think I just ended the whole Ubiquitous Neil Gaiman thing with one post. Though Terry Pratchett did show up uninvited and unannounced in someone else's blog comments. Right! Who's next?

I'm glad I didn't watch the Oscars. I don't think I could have taken it. And it's much funnier reading about them on other people's blogs. Plus, I have to admit that I'm so out of touch with current releases that I hadn't heard of most of the movies. This is what comes of not watching TV. But it's easy to enjoy snarky comments, whether I've heard of the movie or not.

Does anyone know of a real movie that has ever won an Oscar? (Does anyone actually remember/keep track?) You know - not some socially loaded commentary that lets The Enlightened Ones feel all self-righteous and pat themselves on the back, but somethinq entertaining - funny or rom-com or Sci-Fi type films. The kind people actually watch. I am reminded of Mark Twain's comment about "classic literature." His opinion: "a classic is a book everyone wants to own but nobody reads." Oh - wait - Wallace and Gromit, right? Kind of amazing isn't it?

Speaking of movies, I watched Bride and Prejudice last night and enjoyed making the comparisons with the original, seeing what they'd changed to adapt to modern times and different cultures. I also watched the recent Pride and Prejudice a couple of days before that. It wasn't bad for the time they had to do it in. I was surprised to see the deceased Donald Sutherland as the father. (so he's not really dead, I guess) But he did the role well, I think. And were those really Marilyn Monroe's ashes in the fireplace? Collins wasn't NEARLY weasley enough. Darcy, sadly, didn't quite do it for me, though he has a good voice. He didn't project the right vanity that the real Darcy comes off with in the book and mini. But, as I said, it wasn't a bad job for the medium they had. I shall have to read the book and watch the mini again, though. How sad. ;o)

I'm encrusted with salt (evaoprated sweat) and my legs have that tired/achey feeling from 2 hours of hard work at TKD, so I guess I'll go sit in the cesspool bathtub and read a non-classic.

My blog is lonely after that Neil Gaiman flop. Maybe I should post naked pics.

5 comments:

tshsmom said...

I didn't watch the Oscars for the same reason.
I agree; whatever happened to watching a movie for entertainment? We rented Must Love Dogs, last week. It was dumb, funny, and entertaining!

C said...

Oh, I LOVE Must Love Dogs! The dialogue is pretty witty and fast paced, and what's not to like about John Cusack? :o) Did you watch the bloopers (should've had more!) "Do I get my meat?" WHAP! LOL!

tshsmom said...

I had to rerun the bloopers because my husband walked off and missed them. I think we may have to buy this one!
We rented 4 movies. His were critically acclaimed, but everybody liked my choice the best.
Cusack hasn't let me down yet.

C said...

Ha!! :o) Yes, the critical acclaim is usually a red flag for me, LOL! I'm not nearly snooty enough to enjoy most of those. ;o) My sis and mom loved it so much that rather than renting it, we just bought it when it came out. I'm so glad. We've watched it 3 times already.

You might enjoy "Cake."

Did you know that on the day a DVD releases, Best Buy puts them on sale for about $3-$5 off? Dh went for Harry Potter yesterday and everyone in line had one, LOL!

Jay said...

I really, really loved Crash, and I hate rom-coms as a general rule. Some of us watch them.