Friday, May 12, 2006

Ita Erat Quando Hic Adveni 2

It was that way when I got here.

I didn't do it. I swear. We got a little bit of a late start to the pool today, thank goodness. If I hadn't gotten into a little bit of an emailing fest, we'd likely have been IN the pool when they evacuated the school, which means we'd have been sent half naked and shivering out into the COLD, wet day. Blech. Thank goodness for small blessings. As it was, we arrived at the pool (which is attached to a high school) to find a couple of fire trucks and a couple of cop cars blocking off the entry. We were marshalled off to the nearby Middle School (I think) parking lot where we sat and watched the Channel 7 helicopter come zooming over. Shortly afterwards, the emergency services folks left and we were able to get to the road that goes around the back of the school to the pool. Bad timing. Aparently they had evacuated several hundred students into schoolbuses lining the road and NOW they were all getting let out. Here we are, waiting for some of the herd to cross. And waiting. And waiting. If I'd have been smart, I'd have turned around and just left, but I clung to a shred of hope that we'd still be able to swim for a little bit. Alas. As it is, the children are thrilled to have made the news if even in a miniature version of our van.



Firemen were there, so it was well worth the wait. :-)

Tomorrow is Tournament Day!! Tournaments take ALL day, and involve a lot of waiting around, and are just generally exHAUSTing. John and I are taking our gear in case there are other people against whom we can compete, but typically there's not a big showing amongst the adults. Mollusc, Sluggie and Gogo will be competing for sure. John doesn't want me sparring with my knee on the edge like this (we test for senior red a week from tomorrow) and I have to begrudgingly agree that he's right. Sigh. But we may split an entry and have him spar and me do forms if there are other adults there.

Our Master thinks I should see a Dr. about my knee. I'm not a huge fan of doctors. I don't trust them so much with my inner workings. If it's an eye infection or whatever that's one thing, but the physician's assistant at TKD told me it's likely torn cartiledge under my kneecap, and Googling seems to confirm this. I very much doubt that there's anything non-invasive that can be done for it. But I guess I'm going to bite the bullet and go see one anyway. :-/ What I dread is being told that I have to stop doing TKD or take a break. I won't do that. I also don't want to hear anything about surgery. I have my line all worked out in case of unwanted news.

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

Our Master's wife had knee surgery to scrape out some broken cartiledge under her kneecap and if anything her knee is worse than before the surgery. So what's the point of going to the doc? None. This is why I have yet to go. I love TKD. And it doesn't hurt when I do class. It only feels weird and edgy after kicking bags or people. And only sometimes. It'll heal up again, right? :-) The ONE hope I hold out is that maybe there are some strengthening exercises I can do for the surrounding muscles that will help. I like swimming, I like kicking, I like to move it, move it. I don't wanna stop! Send some good vibes my way, eh?

Today's link: Fun Latin
I actually linked to that (well same content, diff site) some time ago, but I didn't have readers back then.

Wanna see what Google looks like for me now?

웹 문서 이미지 뉴스 그룹스 디렉토리 전체서비스 »

고급검색 환경설정
전체 웹 한국어 웹

Ees broken.
I told Google chat/mail that I wanted to see the mail page in Korean, and then I changed it back to English. Google chat/mail appears in English again, but Google search has been stuck in Korean ever since. Go figure. Doesn't really matter - just strange.

Mark your calendars, peeps. May 25th is Towel Day.

Time for another round of Caption This! Extra points if you Adobe up the sign or picture. Just post on your blog, or Flickr it and then link to it so we can all see. :-)



I guess I'll take the opportunity to do a Flash 55 here with this pic. I know my others were 100 word Drabbles, but the Friday Flash 55 seems to have caught on, and it's late, so 55 words = mo bettah.

It was a momentous decision. She knew that either way she chose, her life would never be the same - never could be. She headed down to the lake – the place where she always went to think. “What should I do?” she prayed. “I need guidance. Please give me a sign.” And then she looked up.

12 comments:

tshsmom said...

I have a bad back. Everyone I know, who's had back surgery, says NEVER get surgery unless you're severely crippled! They have ALL had numerous surgeries, trying to correct the FIRST surgery they had.

BTW, why did they evacuate the school?

muthacomputer said...

Yeah I've been meaning to ask that too.

Is this a test?? How do I break the code?! :)

All I can translate is Quando = "When" (Italian) and Hic = "Difficulty" (French).

jlmack said...

Eww. Knee injuries are the one thing that freak me out (aside from clowns and monkeys, but that's another story). I hope that it all works out and you can resume kicking ass.
I have no cartilage in my left elbow. Yup, I had burned through it all by the time I was 13. Years of paddling and swimming. It's like gristle... and it's a great party trick!
Get bettah soon.

C said...

Oops sorry - the School was evacuated because of an "electrial problem." One teacher-type outside told me it was a fire.

TSmom - Urgh. My fears exactly!

P - It just means "It was that way when I got here." :-) (Or as Captain Ron would say "Ididn't do it! I didn't do it!")

TG - LOL! Great caption! No truth in wine? Certainly no truth in advertising. What about wine advertising? Doubly untrue? If it's a double negative, does that make it a positive? Are all wine ads Zen truths? Deep Thoughts for the day. . .

Jai - Clowns and monkeys freak me out, too. I was attacked by monkeys when I was 4, and clowns are just freaky whether they are attacking at the moment or just waiting for an opportune moment. Monkeys are a little too human-like to be cute. I just look at them doing their strange and icky things and think "How gauche! They really ought to know better." LOL! Oddly enough, they were once my favourite animal. Actually, it's mostly apes I don't really like. Spider monkeys are cute.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!! I have Tiger Balmed it after a looooooooooong day of standing at the tourney (no one to really compete with so the Master told us to hold off.) It was nice being able to give full attention to the kids, but stressful, too. Now I'm going to kick back and watch a movie. :-)

Karen Little said...

so that's what all this little symbols mean! i've always wondered...

N said...

Friday Flash 55? 100 word drabbles?

Blogging phenomena?

Faltenin said...

http://static.flickr.com/55/146124531_092081976a_m.jpg

C said...

Karen - you mean the Korean?

Niel - Sorry, I should have linked some sort of explanation, LOL!

Fal - LOL! Good one!!

GuTTer MuNKi said...

AHA! Firemen!

Now I know why you were so late.

You pulled out your 'County hose inspector' badge again, didn't you?

C said...

**evil grin**

You know it!! "Excuse me sir, but I need to check and see if that's regulation length. . ."

egan said...

Wow, the pool really did catch on fire. I thought that was a sorry excuse to avoid swimming on your part.

C said...

Dude, with me it's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me blog!