Sunday, October 15, 2006

Blargh

An update in the goings on in my life:

A good friend and I are taking an online class (my first ever) from
Big Picture Scrapbooking called "Darci Loves Doodlebug." One of the reasons I signed up for this class was so that I could justify to myself the purchase of some of Doodlebug's nifty products. I am failing miserably. I went in to the scrapbook store the other day to get some project supplies and ended up back where I always go - the clearance section. Yes, Doodlebug makes some of the cutest stuff around - whimsical, fun, cheery - but I just can't bring myself to pay the kind of prices on the tags, which is, presumably, the amount of money they are asking for each item. Instead, I keep defaulting to stuff I have or stuff I can get cheaper. The hell with it. I'm renaming this class "Candy Loves Clearance" and pressing on with glory.

The Prawn tested Saturday (technically yesterday) for Senior Yellow belt. She TOTALLY rocked!! She was the youngest one testing and did quite a bit better than some of the other kids there. Go PRAWN!! She nailed every question and her form, too. The only problem she had was during blocking sets when she watched the boys beside her. She knows the sets perfectly, but watching them do it wrong messed her up. She did finally do them right, once she got ahead of them timing-wise. Pics to follow when it's not 3:30 am, and I'm not on the couch with 2 sleepless kids (1 feeling a bit off and the other awoken by our noise.)

Blogging remains a guilty pleasure for me, as do all things online. I love learning new things, looking stuff up, etc. but it sure is way too easy to get sucked in and then not have time to do anything with more lasting results like WRITING! :-/ 3:30 am, however, is perfect since there's nothing else I can do very well in the dark. Well, not while
GuTTer MuNKi is conked out anyway. OK, writing would work. Arrrgh! Well, it IS kinda hard to see the keyboard.

Current musical interests I plan to further explore:

Sting's new album

The Fray

On Friday we bought the final Lemony Snicket book. Mollusc and I read it immediately - trading back and forth as we did various things throughout the day. Mollusc was a little disappointed, as she and I had both been hoping for a specific thing to happen that never did, but I think that overall it was a satisfying ending. Sunny is in top form and nearly all (if not actually all) of her utterances have a real meaning. I plan to Google some of the more obscure ones. Very, VERY entertaining. :) I think that she says something in Hebrew at one point, and then of course there are the French and Japanese words/phrases as well as some mythological allusions. Now, of course Mollusc and I are making constant references to peer pressure and detritus, and doing our best to work things with the initials V.F.D. into our conversations.

I hope they don't make any more movies out of these books. :-P

If we all survive the night and go on to have a healthy day, which actually seems possible as no one has a fever or anything, I think we're going to go to a nearby apple orchard tomorrow/today. GuTTer MuNKi has plans to make apple jelly and/or apple butter among other things. (get it? ^_^ )

13 comments:

tshsmom said...

I forgot that book 13 was coming out on the 13th! Our daughter is sending her Dad the last 3 books for Christmas.
Scrapbooking takes up way too much space for me. We have too many pictures to waste a whole album page on 1 or 2 pictures. If I want a fancy album page, I make one on the computer with a greeting card program or photoshop.
You're right about the scrapbooking supplies; too expensive, and they take up a lot of space too. I'd rather use my space, and money, for sewing and knitting supplies. ;)

jlmack said...

Go Prawn! Hoorah!
Mmmm. Apple butter. I woke up yesterday (after a hard night of partying) to bacon, eggs, hashbrowns and freshly made apple cinnamon waffles! Doug (Caleb) got up early, cleaned the house and made a breakfast buffet for Amelia (Molly), Lizzie (Bettie) and I.
I hope everyone survived the night in your house. We actually lost one of our guest Friday night... no one seems to know where he is. Lizzie thinks he may be in our crawl space.

C said...

Tshsmom - wow are you ever right! I have a bunch of goodies and they take up a lot of space. But not as much as my sewing stuff. :-P Good thing I don't knit. My friend who's taking the class with me scraps and knits, but doesn't sew. I think there is only room in our lives for 2 of these hobbies, LOL! Now jewelry-making, on the other hand, doesn't take up that much space. . . }:-)

Jaichan - OMG that sounds so good! What a lovely man Doug/Caleb is! So far we have all survived, though Gogo got up again about an hour ago and vanished. I'm not sure where he went. Upstairs I guess. I expected him to be in my bed with GuTTer MuNKi, but he's not. Maybe he's partying with your guest in the crawlspace, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Hello, C.

You appear to be nurturing a family of samurai.

Is this part of your plan to take over the world? I hope so.

I think you'd do a grand job.

Trundling Grunt said...

I've never understood the scrapbooking industry as it seems so over-priced for what it used to be. It used to be a simple pastime, now it's trying to build works of art (or at least they seem to cost that much). And then what do you do with the end-product?

Prawn seems to be following a trend of heavily armed and dangerous women in your family. I feel sorry for GM as they get to be teenagers. As for something to do at 3.30am - leap on him....

C said...

Winters, heh, you are too kind. :) Mollusc has already discovered that 2 of the cornerstones of World Domination are applesauce and Flip Flop glue. (not in combination) I'm not sure what else we're going to need. Hopefully something not so goopy. So far, it seems like kind of a messy endeavour.


TG - I think that scrapbooking has taken the place of the sort of crafting that a lot of us now see as something that produces tacky and useless end results. The thing I like about it is that the end results are actually much nicer photo presentations than my albums used to be. (as opposed to crafty crap that would just sit around on shelves collecting dust) But, yeah, a LOT of the stuff is just WAY too pricey, hence the clearance aisle being my hangout. For a lot of us, it's a social thing, too, like the knitting circles of yore. Women need that sort of thing. :) The big focus now is on writing down specia memories, traditions, and anecdotes and preserving family history. I do wish my grandmothers had done something like that. It would have been fascinating to read, IMO.

The Prawn is, indeed, following in the family tradition. I should try to snap some pics of her one-armed pushups, LOL!

C said...

PS - There is a reason GM was sleeping so soundly. }:-) But I guess that doesn't mean there can't be a round 2. . . :-)

ldbug said...

Oh, wow, you do a lot. I wish I had time for half of the cool projects you are into!! Actually, I probably do, if I weren't procrastinating on blogger, (a guilty pleasure too!!)


Oh, and yay to the prawn!!

Logophile said...

Just bought The End for Thing One, he has fallen asleep with it on his face, sooooo cute.
Well wishes to your illen one.

egan said...

What did that lovely purple iMac do to GuTTer MuNKi to deserve that demise?

Trundling Grunt said...

He's slacking - tell him he's (still) a young man...

C said...

Ldbug - I have too many irons in the fire. I bet I'd get a LOT more done if I had fewer projects going. :-P

Logo -ah - that's so cute when they do that. :) I don't find it cute when *I* do it, though - just annoying when the book smashes into my face. I hope he's enjoying it. :)

Efo - c'mon, Man - Apple™ butter!!! You know - cooked apples smashed up with - uh - stuff. You spread it on bread or toast or whatever.

TG - I'll tell him. Or maybe I'll just show him. }:-)

egan said...

Oh, I am slow like that. I got it now.