Friday, December 22, 2006

Shameless Theft

I've shamelessly lifted this meme from Logo's blog. But I did fill in my own answers. For the most part. ^_^

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?

I've rebelled against the machine entirely and made a TON of fabric gift bags. Some I made with drawstrings, some I made like pillowcases and tie with ribbons, some I got from a big bag swap I inspired on Amity's. Last year was the first year we didn't have any paper under the tree last year, and clean up was SO easy! I give gifts in these now, too, and tell the recipient to keep the bag and recycle it. Someone else had the same brilliant idea and took it a step further. I think this is very cool. You may have heard of the dollar bill tracking program,
"Where's George?" and the traveling book program, "BookCrossing. Well these cool cats came up with this awesome hybrid of crossing something like that with fabric gift bags. Now how cool is that?

Hmmm. Memes are supposed to be short and sweet, aren't they. I'll try to cut them shorter from here on.


2. Real tree or artificial?

Fake tree. No shedding, no sap, looks awesome (compared to $50 - $100 Charlie Brown trees) and saves a ton of dough. More rebellion on MuNKi's and my part. We did get a live wreath for the door and it smells yummy.

3. When do you put up the tree?

The day after Thanksgiving.

4. When do you take the tree down?

Usually the day after New Year's. Maybe on New Year's?

5. Do you like eggnog?

Yes, especially from Guernsey (local dairy) and with a splash of Amaretto. Oooh la la!

6. Favorite gift received as a child?

Either my
Tiny Tears baby doll (mine looked like the 3rd one down) or my Fisher Price Adventure People Sea Explorer set.


7. Do you have a nativity scene?

Yep - a Bethlehem my mom gave us. I need to bring it up from the basement though. Every year someone loses on ear or a horn or something, thanks mostly to the cats.

8. Hardest person to buy for?

FIL. OMG. He has no hobbies, no loves, no joy. He works or sits in his chair watching "arguing shows" on the telly. Maybe some anti-depressants?

9. Easiest person to buy for?

My kids, though MuNKi was very good and gave me a list this year, too. Also my sis.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards?

Mail. Not very timely. Maybe just-in-timely this year. I've done New Year's ones before, and for the last few years neglected them altogether. I got them out this year, though. Except for 3 for friends whose addresses I can't find. :-/

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?

Can't think of any. Nothing atrocious. Sometimes MIL gives gadgety things that we don't really use or hang onto, bit nothing hideous that I can recall. Unless I'm blocking. . .


12. Favorite Christmas Movie?

Christmas Vacation or The Santa Clause

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?

When I see something that I want to give. The bulk of it is in Nov, though. Sometimes when ordering bday stuff for Fishy in Aug I'll add stuff for the kids from the same stores to save shipping and craziness.


14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?

Nope

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?

Potato Thing. MMMMMMMMMmmmmmm!


16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?

Colored.

17. Favorite Christmas song?

I just got a bunch of cool ones from Cindra (THANK YOU, CINDRA!) so I'm developing new faves. Right now I think some of the Sarah McLachlan ones. But I also love Harry Connick Jrs Christmas albums and Michael Buble's Christmas stuff. Oh, and I love the Veggie Tales Christmas album. ^_^ ("The 12 Polish Christmas foods I bring to the partyyyyyy. . . ")


18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?

Home this year. Last year we drove on Christmas and it rocked cuz the roads were empty.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?

I think so. If given paper and pencil.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?

Nothing. I keep meaning to remedy that. I'm thinking of letting the kids make one like
TG has. (2nd pic)

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?


Christmas Eve. Stockings on Christmas morning.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?


Crowded stores.

23. Favorite ornament theme or color?


Duh. Star Wars. Also Star Trek. Nothing heralds the birth of the Baby Jesus like 15 billion megatrons of destructive laser capability.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?

Anything that's not turkey. I just love Potato Thing. That's all I need, and nothing more.

25. Leave cookies & milk for Santa?

We've never actually done the Santa thing with these kids, so no. Besides, rumour has it he's lactose intolerant, and I don't want that happening in my living room. Or near the fireplace, come to think of it.

11 comments:

egan said...

This is meme-tastic. I have learned so much more about you based on this little post and your Christmas leanings.

C said...

And so what we have learned applies to our lives today. . .

tshsmom said...

WOW, almost all of my answers match yours! Except for the cloth bags...what a GREAT idea!

Another benefit to fake trees is we can leave them up longer!
What's the "potato thing"?

My boss sounds like your fil. How can people NOT have hobbies?! She doesn't even READ!

BlondeBlogger said...

Hooray for fake trees and colored lights! I'm with you on that! (my outdoor lights are clear, though)

C said...

Tshsmom - That's wild! :) Yeah, have fun with the cloth bags. JoAnn's has a huuuge sale on Christmas fabric the day after Christmas, though Wallyworld often has it for $2 a yard anyway. :)

Isn't that crazy to have no interests? FIL doesn't read either.

Mr. Fab - ACK! Are you going to have me liquidated if I don't turn to the Dark Side?

Blonde - I was thinking of putting clear ones outside this year, but I ended up doing no lights out there. Again. :-P

Anonymous said...

Glad you love the music...yer meme was great. I love how you write and I love your humor. What is the potato thing? i am a scandinavian wench who lives for starches.

Anonymous said...

P.S.

Can i get the pattern for them bags? COOOLIO!

Anonymous said...

This is a Cindra spam. Happy Holidays! And please do go wish mine hubby a happy happy jolly jolly at his blog. Thanks!

C said...

Cindra - Thanks. :) I'll post or link Potato Thing for you and Tshsmom. :) The bags are a cinch. Hmmm. Maybe I'll do a sew-along. I think I took pics for one. I'll see what I can do. For the pillowcase style (with no drawstring) I just fold a rectangle or square of any size in half (wrong side out) and sew up 2 sides, then finish the top by either serging with something like variegated thread, or flipping and sewing.

Merry Christmas! I'll do that! :)

Anonymous said...

Well, C. I am appallingly behind the times in the comment department here. You have been posting like a veritable dervish (of the whirling variety) during the festive season.
I have a lot of catching to do. So, here goes;

"I love the smell of stockings on Christmas morning."

C said...

Kinky, Winters! This is what happens when you are gallivanting about the French countryside without me. (not the stocking-smelling bit; the getting behind bit)